Friday, October 1, 2010

A critique essay on "Revolution will BE televised!!! by Halima"

You know that feeling you get when you’re asleep and suddenly it seems like someone just smacked the shit out of you. You wake up chasing dreams that felt so real. Then your mind raises attention to every little detail around you. And you ask yourself, “Why the hell did I wake up? What in heavens woke up from paradise? I was perfectly fine where I was, comfortable with my position. And as hard as I’m trying I just can’t seem to fall back into that dream. Fuck it, Let’s see what reality is all about”?
            What’s devastating to our existence is the fact that the majority of our entire society (no matter what side of the fence they walk) uses this radiant race card as an excuse to infuse justice on either side of the argument. One says, “Ahh… That is not fair. You are using the race card.” While the other actually believes that he or she has a race card that trumps any other card we can imagine. A race card? I agree that there is no such race card – when in fact, its racism that manipulates, and eventually humiliates, the truth. But the truth will never be eliminated because somebody, somewhere with some form of righteousness will speak. And in these times that is considered a revolutionary act.
            Here is the truth: Obama’s mama is as white as the house he lives in. And his father was even blacker than the inside of your eyelids. Yet, nearly our entire society (no matter what side of the fence they walk) could not see anything but the inside of their eyelids. We are literally sleep walking through reality. Unconscious, not by choice, but by ignorance. And, George Orwell also said “They will never rebel because they are not conscious, but they cannot become conscious until they rebel.”
            At home, being told to keep a distance between you and the “ghetto” because it might drag you to the graveyard is like saying everywhere outside of the “ghetto” will keep you safe from death. Anywhere outside of the “ghetto” will protect you from harm as if accidents do not happen. As if sick minded individuals who kidnap babies and raise them as their own for decades before they story unfolds will never live outside of the “ghetto.” Or, men who represent the voice of that divine energy will never molest innocent, young children before they have ever had a chance for their first kiss. No, not here. Only the “ghetto” manufactures drugs and guns. Only the “ghetto” will ever produce teenagers, driven by hate, infiltrate a school, armed with fully loaded assault rifles and semi-automatic pistols assassinating students after asking, “Do you believe in GOD?”
            See, I was told knowing prisoners would cloud my vision and make me weak hearted. The only thing is I was already kind hearted to begin with. And I remember someone distinctively telling me to never take kindness for weakness. Then I became a prisoner and met political prisoners that never attempted to cloud my vision, but instead cleared my vision. Basically, prescribing a conscious prescription so I never see cleared now the pain is gone. I can see what lady liberty really looks like without her make up. I can see that Justice’s complexion was never white or black but green. Green as the skin of capitalism. Green as the eyes of George Washington. I can’t trust anything when it comes to money because everything I see George Washington he has a slight smile on his face. Not the genuine, swee smile that assures me everything is going to be all right. No, it’s that evil, deceitful smile that has me feeling like he is saying “Yea Nigga I got YOU…And you can’t do a damn thing about it!!!”
            But, can I? Can you? Can we do anything about our present condition? Sure, but not just by overcoming your quietness and shyness and sharing sincere words of your inner most ideas and love for justice. Because when that opportunity does occur to make a difference it is impossible to be quiet or shy. Your love for humanity overrides any pressure you place on yourself. But by listening to the voices screaming to be heard, and transporting their message across boarders knowing it will fall on deaf ears, lost souls, and minds intoxicated by every “-ism” that weaves fabrics of fabrication  then call it moral fiber within our homes. Yes, we can make a difference.
            Just listen and become the voice speaking truth. Listen and become the revolution that will not only be Televised, but a revolution that will BE LIVE…and in color!

Rap
Copyright © 2010

Note: This critique essay written by rap was based on a poem I wrote while I was there for the poetry workshop and shared it with him to get his insight - next day he had three pages of essay lol here is the essay I wrote http://phenomenal20.blogspot.com/2010/10/revolution-will-be-televised.html just for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment